Memories of Abuse

This thread is about my memories of being a straight male survivor of intimate partner violence. Memories are in no particular order - I'm just writing them down as I think of them.

I should note that I realize I am taking a certain risk of readers simply not understanding and thinking that I am just making myself look bad in some cases, but not enough guys step forward to recount their experiences of being abused by a female partner. This is me doing my part and I plan to ignore the haters - there's nothing I can do about that and I don't want to let them get in the way of my doing something to shed light on an under-served aspect of intimate partner violence.

I will refer to my abuser as "She." And FYI, this is all in the past. I'm with a wonderful woman and we've been together for ten years now.

To start...

One day, She wanted to prove to her father, who was visiting that day, that I was an "angry man." Her father liked me, and I believe that he saw that I was not in fact an "angry man." So She began needling me and heckling me. I don't remember what finally broke me - all I know is that She was a very manipulative person who was at the center of the universe in her head. Broke me, she did, and in great frustration I hurled a glass against the wall.

"See!" she said, "See! He's an angry man!" Her father verbally agreed in order to placate his daughter, but it was apparent to me that his opinion was changed not a whit and that he saw my action was the result of being pushed too far.

Unlike She, though, when I needed such an extreme form of release, the most damage I would do would be to an unimportant object. I have actually never hit anyone - but I've been hit by She.


Comments

Popular Posts